I love meatballs because they are EASY and quick. You can prep these ahead of time, throw them in the freezer and then either crockpot them or bake them in the oven when you are ready to serve. My favorite way to have meatballs is over spaghetti squash!
Yield: 6 servings, 3 meatballs each
1 lb. raw 93% lean ground turkey
½ tsp. sea salt (or Himalayan salt), divided use
½ tsp. ground black pepper
1 large egg, lightly beaten
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 Tbsp. finely chopped fresh parsley
2 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
2 tsp. olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 (28-oz.) can crushed tomatoes
1 tsp. dried oregano leaves
1. Combine turkey, ¼ tsp. salt, pepper, egg, garlic, parsley, and cheese in a large bowl; mix well with clean hands.
2. Roll mixture into eighteen 1½-inch meatballs. Set aside.
3. Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
Add half of meatballs; cook, turning occasionally, for 4 to 6 minutes, or until meatballs are browned on each side. Place browned meatballs in a 3-quart slow cooker OR freeze until you are ready to cook.
IF you are eating now, follow these directions:
5. Add onion to same skillet; cook, over medium-high heat, for 4 to 6 minutes, or until onion is translucent.
6. Top meatballs with cooked onion, tomatoes, oregano, and remaining ¼ tsp. salt; cook, covered, on low temperature for 5 to 6 hours, stirring once or twice.
IF you are freezer prepping, throw the onions, tomatoes, oregano and salt miixed together and put on top of meatballs in the freezer gallon bag. Then, when you are ready to eat, pull out and put in crockpot.
NUTRITION INFO: 3 meatballs = 1 red (21 day fix plan) , 1 green
3 meatballs = 200 calories, 9g fat, 10g carbs, 19g protein